Here are two pancake syrup recipes for you to try. Why make your own homemade syrup? It’s quick, easy and economical, plus it’s healthier too! Since it doesn’t contain any preservatives or high fuctose corn syrup. The first recipe is made with molasses and it isn’t as sweet. Whip up a batch of one of these syrups for the next time you serve your family pancakes, waffles or french toast for breakfast or brunch.
Pancake Syrup With Molasses
1 1/2 cups granulated white sugar
3 cups water
2 Tablespoons molasses
2 teaspoons Watkins Maple Extract
1 teaspoon Watkins Butter Extract
1 teaspoon Watkins Vanilla Extract
Directions: Stir together water and sugar in a medium saucepan and bring to the boil, remove from heat and add molasses and extracts. Stir well to combine. Syrup will thicken when cool. Makes 28 oz. Use warm or cold, store syrup in refrigerator.
Basic Pancake Syrup
1 cup granulated white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup water
1 teaspoon Watkins Maple Extract
1/2 teaspoon Watkins Butter Extract (optional)
Directions: Stir together water and both sugars in a medium saucepan and bring to the boil, remove from heat and add extracts. Stir well to combine. Syrup will thicken when cool. Serve warm or cold, store extra in the refrigerator.
Tips from the kitchen:
- Make your syrup ahead, it keeps well in the fridge for an indefinite length of time.
- Let the syrup cool a bit before pouring it into a storage container or bottle. Hot sugar syrup can cause a very bad burn.
- Place the contain you wish to fill in the sink for easier filling and clean up if you happen to have a spill. A funnel will help you prevent over pour and spills.
- For a thicker pancake syrup, boil the sugar water for a 2 – 5 minutes before adding the extracts.
- Try substituting honey for some of the sugar for a different taste or if you wish to reduce your refined sugar consumption.
- To serve syrup warm, reheat in the microwave for 30 – 60 seconds. Be careful not to make it too hot especially if children will be serving themselves.
- For cinnamon syrup, add 1 teaspoon of Watkins cinnamon with the extracts.